Our Reading and Film Group takes place every Monday evening at 7pm. The group follows a block schedule, starting with two weeks of reading groups at 7pm at Teviot, New Amphion (Map). This is followed by a film screening at 7pm (location is announced each week), in relation to the relevant philosophical issues.
Reading and Film Group Autumn 2018
MONDAY NIGHTS AT 7PM; NEW AMPHION, TEVIOT
Details about the Film/ Reading Group Structure:
- Our main goal is to work through the core argument of each text and, patience and time permitting, some of the nuances, objections, and responses.
- The reading group will progress in blocks of 2 readings and 1 film, and we have set films and readings that are related or linked together in some way. However, each week is entirely comprehensible in isolation. Even if you are interested in only one of the papers, or just the film, or both of the papers but not the film, you are still more than welcome to attend!
- Don’t be intimidated by any of the texts. It is rare that a philosophical text will be completely clear to the reader upon first attempt. Ideas and arguments will need to be teased out through further thinking and sometimes repeated reading, especially if the writing is overly technical or pompous (something not uncommon in this discipline).
- We still encourage those interested to come to the reading group even if they have not read the text in its entirety, or they are uncertain about the core argument. The point of the reading group is to facilitate understanding of the reading in a comfortable setting, so do not be afraid if you have questions or want to go over certain things more slowly or in more detail.
- For more technical, in-depth guidelines on how to read a philosophy paper, we recommend Jim Pryor’s guide.